Does an IVA cover all of my debts?
Priority debts and priority debt arrears cannot be included in your IVA. Payments to these debts are factored into your monthly household expenditure allowance. Priority debts include:
- Mortgages and secured loans
- Rent & property service charges
- Current utility bills
- Current service providers
- Hire purchase payments
- Student Loans
- Child Maintenance
- Council Tax (current year if not in arrears)
- Court fines
Debts that can be included in your IVA are as follows:
- Unsecured debts (overdrafts, credit cards, store cards, charge cards, catalogues, pay day loans, unsecured loans, doorstep loans, credit unions)
- Unsecured debts that have a CCJ or attachment of earnings in place
- Arrears from utility supplies from previous properties, previous suppliers e.g. gas, electricity, water
- Arrears from service providers from previous properties, previous suppliers e.g. digital TV, mobile phones, landlines
- Debts that were previously secured against an asset that has been repossessed – shortfalls on vehicle HP and Properties
- Debts to family and friends.
- HM Revenue and Customs VAT, PAYE, Self assessed tax, National Insurance
- Council Tax (previous years and current year if in arrears)
You can read more about IVAs and whether they are suitable for your situation in our IVA section.
Debt Advice Foundation is a registered UK charity offering free, confidential support and advice on any aspect of debt, including IVAs. If you need to talk to someone about debt, please call the charity’s helpline on 0800 043 40 50 to speak to an adviser.